A strength of mine as a communicator is my ability to blend current research across a number of important areas: addiction, trauma, attachment, neuroscience, and an understanding of how the human nervous system functions. Another strength is my ability to make it understandable to people without a degree in psychology or neuroscience. I am passionate about helping audiences understand more about how our brain and nervous system functions, the impacts of traumatic experiences, the move into addictive patterns, and how recovery happens.
I offer workshops, seminars, and various training opportunities for a wide variety of audiences:
- Counsellors and other mental health professionals
- Anyone working in the field of addiction
- Residential treatment centres
- Client groups / Student groups
- Workplace environments
My signature presentation
"Into Oblivion: The Vortex of Trauma and Addiction"
I have developed a model of addiction that speaks to the tremendous impact trauma has on the development of substance abuse and addiction. It combines an understanding of how our nervous system functions with the ways substance abuse as well as compulsive behaviours are used to self-medicate the overwhelming activation that results from trauma and chronic stress.
I have presented this model in a variety of settings ranging from short seminars to multi-day workshops for mental health professionals, parents, and clients.
"Into Oblivion: The Vortex of Trauma & Addiction"
February 26 - 27, 2018 in Kelowna BC
Additional Presentation TopicS
If you are looking for a short seminar on a specific topic or a more intensive training, my interests and expertise include addiction, trauma, anxiety, and the process of recovery. I would be happy to tailor a presentation to the needs of your group or organization. Here are some presentations I have previously offered:
Understanding the Connection Between Trauma and Addiction
• Vancouver Coastal Health (Social Workers)
• Family Services of Greater Vancouver (EAP Providers)
• Edgewood Intensive Outpatient Program, Vancouver (Clients)
• Hollyburn Family Services, North Vancouver (Staff)
Working with Trauma and Addiction
• Union Gospel Mission, Vancouver (Staff)
• Edgewood Addiction Services, Vancouver (Counsellors)
Understanding the Impacts of Trauma
• Hollyburn Family Services, Vancouver and Surrey (Foster Parents)
• Impacts of Stress and Trauma in the Line of Duty, North Vancouver (RCMP Officers)
Supporting Growth and Healing in Children With Developmental Trauma
• Hollyburn Family Services “Stand Together Conference” (Foster Parents and Social Workers)
Somatically-Oriented Psychotherapy and Working with the Nervous System
• Two-day workshops for therapists co-led with Dr. Ron Manley, Vancouver
Intensive Trauma Workshop
• 5-day residential trauma module at BridgePoint Centre for Eating Disorders, Milden, SK
Emotions, Trauma, Coping Mechanisms, and Character Development
• The Actor's Foundry, Vancouver (Students)
Current Drug Trends
• BCACC Skills for Mindful Living Series, West Vancouver (Parents and Counsellors)